About Venus La Universal: Husband and wife team Sara Pérez and René Barbier (Fils) are the children of two of the great pioneers of the Priorat D.O., Josep Lluis Pérez of Mas Martinet and René Barbier of Clos Mogador. Sara and René are both very well respected vignerons in their own right, so it seemed natural that they should start a project together. For this project, they decided to stake their claim not in Priorat, but in the slightly sleepier D.O. of Monsant.
René and Sara have taken the goddess as their inspiration for this project. One of their stated goals is “to interpret femininity through a bottle of wine”. This might seem an odd choice for a bodega that elaborates Grenache- and Carignan-based wines in Southern Cataluña, but it makes sense once you taste. These are incredibly elegant, refined, sensual expressions of Montsant, with restrained alcohol levels and tremendous texture.
The grapes for the wines come from an approximate total of four hectares of vineyards which are owned by four different grape-growing families in Falset as well as another small plot owned by Venus. One could call Venus a négociant project, but it is more accurate to say that it is a partnership between these four families and René and Sara. Venus is these small growers’ only client, so their vineyards are farmed in accordance with the rigorous ecological standards set by the couple. The grapes for Dido come from the Falset area, from vineyards with soils based on decomposed granite called sauló. These soils are poor in organic matter and they contribute to producing grapes with great ripeness and fruit flavors. The grapes for Venus come from clay-calcareous soils between Marçà and Guiamets. These soils encourage a slow, elegant and complex ripeness.
Vinification: Dido “La Solució Rosa” is a rosé wine from D.O Montsant produced by the winery Venus La Universal.
This wine is a blend of Garnacha Gris, Garnacha Tinta, Garnacha Blanca, Cariñena, Macabeo and Syrah.
After the harvest, the grapes are all pressed together.
The must for Dido “La Solució Rosa” is obtained after a long 8 months fermentation process.
At the last moment, before being bottled, Dido “La Solució Rosa” is aged for 14 months in old oak barrels of more than 10 years (80% of the wine) and the rest (20%) in demijohn.
There are only 1000 bottles produced.
It can be said, although this is classified as a rosé wine, Dido “La Solució Rosa” is unlike the typical rosé characteristics.
Firstly, Dido “La Solució Rosa” used red and white grapes, normally only red grapes are used for this type of wine.
Secondly, the wine is aged for a long time, typically speaking, rosés are young wine. The end product obviously reflect these peculiarities.